"Phoenix is a town
of secondary importance, which bears the name of an ancient
sugar estate now, of which only the souvenir remains.
This sugar estate was set up in 1846 at the
merging place of two rivers. La Rivière du Mesnil
and La Rivière Sèche, and was administered
by Mr. Henry Barlow. The mill was disaffected in 1874 on
account of financial depression and the building widowed
of its machinery was destroyed by the severe cyclone of
"Phoenix" is also a variety of palm tree cultivated
in mild regions.
In 1968, when the Town of Vacoas-Phoenix
was raised to the status of Municipality, the Council had
to be provided with a Coat of Arms. In June 1970, the Council
approved a sketch submitted by the College of Arms of London
which was responsible for effecting the design, text engrossment
and registration of the document. By the end of the year
the Town was endowed with its Armorial Bearings and the
motto "Copia et Concordia" meaning harmony and
abundance assigned at it.