The Council actually operates
a market and fair found in the town centre. Covering an area
of more than 1A50P, the fair is one of the biggest in Mauritius
comprising of more than 1300 stalls/spaces.
A space divided into 12 lots has also been provided for auction
sale where vegetables from all over the country are transacted
for and to traders all over the island
The market caters for the following trades:
||i. Sale of Goat and mutton
ii. Sale of Beef 6 stalls
iii. Sale of Fish 3 stalls
iv. Sale of Poultry 3 stalls
v. Food Court - 3 booths and a dining hall.
vi. 15 Commercial units used as shops
vii. 11 stalls within the market builiding for the sale of Haberdashery and non foodstuffs.
Stalls in the fair place are allocated under the following
1. Expression of interest for occupation of stalls at Vacoas Fair is invited through press
2. Applications are received by Council following advertisement
3. The applicant must be a resident of the town
4. The applicant must be unemployed
5. The applicant must personally work on the stall
The stalls in the market are initially allocated
by tender and once allocated, the occupation is renewable
for a period not exceeding 3 years.